Professor Helgeson's research interests focus on two main areas: (1) The implications of gender and gender roles for relationships and health; and (2) how people adjust to chronic illness gender, relationships, and health.
- Close Relationships
- Gender Psychology
- Health Psychology
- Interpersonal Processes
- Personality, Individual Differences
- Social Cognition
- Helgeson, V. S. (1994). Long-distance romantic relationships: Sex differences in adjustment and breakup. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 20, 254-265.
- Helgeson, V. S. (1994). The relation of agency and communion to well-being: Evidence and potential explanations. Psychological Bulletin, 116, 412-428.
- Helgeson, V. S., & Cohen, S. (1996). Social support and adjustment to cancer: Reconciling descriptive, correlational, and intervention research. Health Psychology, 15, 135-148.
- Helgeson, V. S., & Mickelson, K. D. (1995). Motives for social comparison. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 21, 1200-1209.
Department of Psychology
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15213
United States of America
- Phone: (412) 268-2624
- Fax: (412) 268-8280